What does the BIBLE say about Pornography
- An Affair of the Mind by Laurie Hall
The author shares candidly of her struggles as she sought the Lord for the restoration of her marriage and salvation of her husband.
pages to read
- Former porn star Veronica Lain tells her story of being delivered from a life in the pornography industry
- More stories about ex porn stars
- www.lovelines.org Love Lines offers help for getting free of sexual addictions.
- www.pureintimacy.org Pure Intimacy
- masteringlife.gospelcom.net Mastering Life Ministries teaches people how to heal from sexual brokenness.
- www.desertstream.org Desert Streams is a California-based Christian organization which offers programs for people seeking sexual and relational wholeness and healing.
Exposing Satan’s Devices
Writer: Betty Miller | bibleresources.org/pornography/
Song of Solomon 2:15 says,
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Foxes sometime in search of food would enter into the grape orchards and devour the grapes and spoil the crop. However, the little foxes were too small to reach the grape bunches so they would chew on the vines and it would kill the whole vine. Instead of the farmer just losing his crop, he would lose his vine which was more disastrous. Spiritually some things we do or allow that we might think are little or insignificant can also be disastrous for us.
One of the most devastating problems that has ensnared many good people is the sin of pornography. Many of these same people will testify that they were ensnared with just a "peek." This one "little fox" led to their downfall. Many, out of curiosity, just went to a site to see what was there. This is one of the devil's tricks to get people ensnared. Satan, is the power behind this attraction to forbidden sexual images. People that are trapped today can tell you there is an evil "drawing" that compels them to return again and again. Many are desiring to be free, but seem hopelessly gripped by this evil desire. We want to share the good news -- there is a way out through Jesus Christ.
From the Internet to video stores to magazines and "900 numbers," pornography can be easily accessed nearly anywhere in America. This involvement is not limited to the world at large, as surveys reveal the Christian community is highly involved in this evil snare of perversion too.
How did this happen? What can be done to help people get free from this bondage? What does the Bible offer as hope to those ensnared in sin?
Pornography Addictions and Distortions
Research indicates that pornography can be extremely addictive. Pornography conditions a person to respond emotionally and sexually to a self-centered, artificial world. Many online relationships are similar to pornography in that they are not based in reality: what individuals read and see about people, relationships, and sex is distorted. Viewing pornography can distort realistic views of healthy sexuality, lead to the objectification of women, men, and/or children, and promote sexual gratification as a top emotional priority.
Every person finds ways to deal with the stress, anxiety, fear, boredom, and insecurity in their life. An addict is a person who has used addictive activities or substances as a way to deal with these things. Because pornography is readily accessible and can serve as a way to cope with anxiety, fear, boredom, etc., it often is used.
Gene McConnell in an Article called "The Stages of Pornography Addiction" from Focus on the Family lists the five stages of addiction to pornography as:
- (1) Early exposure. Most guys who get addicted to porn start early. They see the stuff when they are very young, and it gets its foot in the door.
- (2) Addiction. Later comes addiction. You keep coming back to porn. It becomes a regular part of your life. You’re hooked. You can’t quit.
- (3) Escalation. After a while, escalation begins. You start to look for more and more graphic porn. You start using porn that would have disgusted you when you started. Now it excites you.
- (4) Desensitization. Eventually, you start to become numb. Even the most graphic, degrading porn doesn’t excite you anymore. You become desperate to feel the same thrill again but can’t find it.
- (5) Acting out sexually. At this point, many men make a dangerous jump and start acting out sexually. They move from the paper and plastic images of porn to the real world.
Chris Mitchell, CBN News Reporter. Fact File Resource, Air Date: November 10, 1998