Page updated 21 Feb 2016
Wolves in Sheep's Clothing
Who are Prophets (and Apostles) of God
According to the Bible
For I [am] the LORD: I will speak, and the word that I shall speak shall come to pass; it shall be no more prolonged: for in your days, O rebellious house, will I say the word, and will perform it, saith the Lord GOD. Ezekiel 12:25
Apostles vs Prophets
Prophets and Apostles are not the same thing. Many people are confused about what these positions are and have used them interchangeably just as they do with prophet and teacher. Please see Who were the Apostles for more information about apostles.
True Prophets are NOT PSYCHICS! They are inspired messengers of God. They are rare and NOT well known. In Bible times there few real prophets. The Bible warns us several times about "MANY" false prophets in the end times. We see this today. A real prophet will NEVER go around bringing attention to themselves by telling everyone they are a prophet. Do real Prophets of God exist today?
James M. Frye has written an excellent article about the Prophets from Bible times and how they compare to those today who claim to be Prophets along with scriptural support. Some of the scriptures he uses are talking about Heaven, but this is still very good. Please read his article at Are There Prophets Today?
True Prophets are described as
The LORD of hosts hath sworn, saying, Surely as I have thought, so shall it come to pass; and as I have purposed, so shall it stand. Isaiah 14:24
- God's servants (Zechariah 1:6But my words and my statutes, which I commanded my servants the prophets, did they not take hold of your fathers? and they returned and said, Like as the LORD of hosts thought to do unto us, according to our ways, and according to our doings, so hath he dealt with us.Zechariah 1 verse 6)
- God's messengers (2 Chronicles 36:15And the LORD God of their fathers sent to them by his messengers, rising up betimes, and sending; because he had compassion on his people, and on his dwelling place.2 Chronicles 36 verse 15)
- Holy prophets (Luke 1:70As he spake by the mouth of his holy prophets, which have been since the world began.Luke 1 verse 70)
- Holy men (2 Peter 1:21For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost.2 Peter 1 verse 21)
- Watchmen (Ezekiel 3:17Son of man, I have made thee a watchman unto the house of Israel: therefore hear the word at my mouth, and give them warning from me.Ezekiel 3 verse 17)
- Prophets of God (Ezra 5:2Then rose up Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, and Jeshua the son of Jozadak, and began to build the house of God which [is] at Jerusalem: and with them [were] the prophets of God helping them.Ezra 5 verse 2)
Messages given by prophets of God should be as follows
- Centered in Christ (Luke 10:24For I tell you, that many prophets and kings have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen [them]; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard [them].Luke 10 verse 24)
- Interpreted by Christ (Luke 24:27, 44(verse 27) And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
(verse 44) And he said unto them, These [are] the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and [in] the prophets, and [in] the psalms, concerning me.Luke 24 verses 27, 44)
- United in testimony (Acts 3:21, 24(verse 21) Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.
(verse 24) Yea, and all the prophets from Samuel and those that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewise foretold of these days.Acts 3 verses 21, 24)
- Contains grace and salvation (1 Peter 1:9-12(verse 9) Receiving the end of your faith, [even] the salvation of [your] souls.
(verse 10) Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace [that should come] unto you:
(verse 11) Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.
(verse 12) Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.1 Peter 1 verses 9-12)
- Abiding revelation (Matthew 5:17-18(verse 17) Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
(verse 18) For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.Matthew 5 verses 17-18)
The Test of a True Prophet
Then the presidents and princes sought to find occasion against Daniel concerning the kingdom; but they could find none occasion nor fault; forasmuch as he [was] faithful, neither was there any error or fault found in him.Daniel 6:4
Some True Prophets from the Bible for further study
JESUS CHRIST, Samuel, Daniel, Micah, Isaiah, Elijah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, David, John the Baptist.
- First, let us include the scriptures listed above, then continue with the following:
- Read Numbers 12:6And he said, Hear now my words: If there be a prophet among you, [I] the LORD will make myself known unto him in a vision, [and] will speak unto him in a dream.Numbers 12 verse 6. This does not validate the self-proclaimed prophets today who speak from their DREAMS! You have to continue reading the Bible to get the whole story. True Prophets from Bible times did not speak from their own dreams or their own wills.
- Read Isaiah 8:20To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, [it is] because [there is] no light in them.Isaiah 8 verse 20. What they preach must line up with the Word of God.
- Read Jeremiah 23:14I have seen also in the prophets of Jerusalem an horrible thing: they commit adultery, and walk in lies: they strengthen also the hands of evildoers, that none doth return from his wickedness: they are all of them unto me as Sodom, and the inhabitants thereof as Gomorrah.Jeremiah 23 verse 14. A true prophet will reprove sin, not cover it up.
- Read Jeremiah 28:9The prophet which prophesieth of peace, when the word of the prophet shall come to pass, [then] shall the prophet be known, that the LORD hath truly sent him.Jeremiah 28 verse 9. Every prophecy-prediction must come to pass fully without error.
- Read Matthew 7:15Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.Matthew 7 verse 15. True prophets lead people to repentance and humility before God, and to love others. They will never lead people to be self-exalting, prideful, and competing with others.
- Read 1 John 4:2-3(verse 2) Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
(verse 3) And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that [spirit] of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.1 John 4 verses 2-3. A true prophet will confess that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, born of a virgin, lived as a perfect human man without blemish, died on the cross and was resurrected in Spirit.
- Read Daniel 10:17For how can the servant of this my lord talk with this my lord? for as for me, straightway there remained no strength in me, neither is there breath left in me.Daniel 10 verse 17. A true prophets visions come only from the Lord, not on their own strength or breath.
- Read John 1:15John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.John 1 verse 15. True prophets will exalt Christ ONLY confessing that every word they prophesy has come only from the Lord, not themselves and not their own abilities or talents.
People today love to bring attention to themselves with false claims in order to bring glory to themselves. As I said above, true prophets of God are not going to go around telling everybody they are God's prophet. For these FEW chosen will not flatter people with fortune telling. This 'personal prophecy' stuff going on is a bunch of garbage to flatter and charm you into being self-focused and believing a bunch of lies.
One of the biggest points about true Prophets is that the LORD HIMSELF APPOINTS THEM. They are NOT self-appointed as we see today. Mom and I believe that true Prophets of God for today have most likely ceased.